I already have a feeling about the answer here, but I want to hear it anyway. For those of you who actually tried Christian Mingle, was it worth your time and money?
Because right now I’m trying to figure out if I should go for it or just let my small group leader play matchmaker again. (Pray for me on that one. Seriously.)
I tried Christian Mingle for about eight months a few years back. It was worth the money, but only barely.
The pool was smaller than the big mainstream apps, and a lot of profiles looked inactive. I’d be chatting with someone who hadn’t set foot in a church in a decade right next to someone who wanted to discuss eschatology in the first message. The filters helped some, but I still did a lot of sorting myself.
I did meet two solid people through it, though. One turned into a friendship that lasted long after we both realized we weren’t a romantic match. When I logged in a couple times a week, it felt like a reasonable tool. The months I checked it constantly were rough.
As for the small group leader matchmaking situation, I lived that too. The setup my friend arranged went better than most of my app dates, even though the first twenty minutes were awkward. If I were you I’d say yes to both and pray hard either way.
I’d try Christian Mingle for a month before paying for anything longer upfront. It depends on how many active members are near you, so check local profiles first.
The small group leader idea could work too, as long as you’re clear about who you’re open to meeting.
Verify what people tell you and keep first meetings in public places. Anyone can put ‘Christian’ on a profile, so pay more attention to how someone lives.
I tried Christian Mingle and it wasn’t worth the money for me. It was obvious the site does better when you stay unsure and keep renewing, so I’d be careful about judging it by whether the fee feels worth it.
I also wouldn’t hand the search to your small group leader. That moves the awkwardness onto one person and onto the next gathering.
If you’re going to spend the money and the evenings anyway, spend them somewhere people have to work together over months, like a serving team or a class. You learn a lot about someone from how they act when the work runs long.
A checkout page and a reluctant matchmaker aren’t the only two doors.
Your point about checking the app constantly making things worse stuck with me. Logging in a couple times a week sounds a lot healthier. You stay open without every quiet chat or inactive profile feeling discouraging.
Did cutting back on check-ins also change how you handled the conversations you did have?
My spouse and I got to know each other volunteering on a months-long church project. Everything I needed to know showed up when setup ran two hours over and half the volunteers disappeared. You can’t fake patience at hour six.
I renewed twice on a different app because of that nagging “maybe next month” feeling. The uncertainty is what kept my card on file, not the matches, because there weren’t any.
The only part I’d push on is the matchmaker thing. Handing the whole search to a small group leader is a lot. But letting one trusted person make a single introduction seems pretty different from dumping the awkwardness onto the next gathering.
I went through the same shift and the answer was yes.
When I was checking constantly, I treated every conversation like it needed an instant reply. Once I settled into a rhythm (Tuesday and Saturday evenings for me), my messages got slower but a lot more thoughtful.
A few other things changed too.
I stopped reading meaning into delays. If someone took three days, that was normal, because I was doing the same.
I moved good conversations toward a phone call or coffee sooner.
A couple of people got frustrated that I wasn’t always online, and that told me something useful early.
When you’re not caught up in a constant stream of messages, you notice whether someone is kind and honest from week to week.
One habit that helped: I’d pray briefly before opening the app. It kept me from logging in out of loneliness or boredom.
Whatever time and money you’d spend on Christian Mingle, put it into real-life community instead. Get involved in serving teams or new hobbies where people can get to know your heart over time.