Something happened during prayer and I need some perspective from people.
Lately I’ve been pressing in harder to seek the Lord. I was praying intensely, repeating His name, and then these words started coming out of my mouth that I didn’t recognize. It came in short bursts, maybe a few seconds each, then I would snap back to praying normally. That cycle went on for about 15 minutes.
How do you know if you’ve prayed in tongues?
14 Likes
The main sign is what you already described. You’re praying with your mind on God and words come out that you didn’t pick, in a language you don’t know. Most people say it starts small and awkward, short bursts and snapping out of it’s normal since you still have control.
Something similar happened to me once and I spent weeks wondering if I’d made it all up because I wanted it so badly. What helped was asking if it pulled me toward Jesus or left me stuck on myself (more on that here). Did you feel peace afterward, or more confusion?
4 Likes
I wouldn’t call that fifteen-minute cycle a clear yes. Going back to normal words doesn’t make it a clear no either.
The way to know is if the speech turns out to be a real language someone understands, or if it gets interpreted. The stopping and starting doesn’t settle it. That happens with a gift and when someone’s worked up. If I were you I’d keep praying in words I know and not put weight on replaying those bursts. Belonging to Jesus doesn’t ride on it anyway.
The sounds alone won’t tell you much. Repeating something intensely for a while can produce random syllables on its own.
In 1 Corinthians 14:14 and 32, Paul says praying in tongues can be unintelligible even to the one speaking, but the person still has control over it.
If I were you, I’d pray again without trying to get back to that same intensity. Ask God for clarity and see if it comes back on its own. If it does, pay attention to whether it leads into steady prayer focused on Christ. You’ll have more to go on than one strange 15 minutes.
1 Like
Trying to recreate the emotional high can turn into trying to produce the same sounds again. Praying calmly leaves more room to notice whether the words come on their own.
Paul’s point about self-control fits here. Spontaneous doesn’t have to mean you can’t stop it. If it comes back (it may not), they can pause and pick it up again while keeping their attention on Christ.
5 Likes
I always figured once you drop back into ordinary prayer, that’s it. Your point that stopping and starting happens both with a real gift and when someone’s worked up clears that up. The switch by itself doesn’t tell you anything.
What I’m wondering is what you do with the rest of that cycle. You said the real test is a known language or an interpretation. In private prayer there’s nobody around to interpret. Do you leave it as unknown and move on?
6 Likes
Yes, I’d leave that moment as unknown rather than force a verdict. There may be no one to recognize or interpret the words, and the stopping and starting can’t settle what happened. I’d thank God for hearing the prayer and keep seeking Him in words I understand. If it happens again, I’d bring it before Him without trying to reproduce it.
Yeah, the point about not chasing the emotional high got me. I went back the next night trying to make it happen again and it felt forced, so I stopped.
The self-control bit from Paul is a relief too. I’d been wondering if being able to snap out of it meant it wasn’t real.
For those of you who’ve been praying this way a while, what does “pause and pick it up again” look like?
5 Likes
I’d take ‘pause and pick it up again’ to mean you can stop and pray in words you understand, continuing only if that praying starts to feel natural again. It doesn’t mean forcing the same sounds. Being able to pause doesn’t rule out tongues, but it doesn’t prove anything either.
Tongues or not, it doesn’t change your standing with Christ.
Spiritual gifts don’t make anyone holier. God uses whoever He chooses, merit has nothing to do with it.
The ‘Lord, Lord, didn’t we’ passage settles it. Gifts have zero bearing on salvation itself.
Scripture never makes tongues a requirement for salvation, so whatever happened in those 15 minutes doesn’t affect your standing with Christ. The test is whether anyone around understood you, meaning a known language or an interpretation.