Hey everyone.
Since I started trying to live out my faith, most hard theological questions have eventually started making more sense to me, which has helped me trust God more over time. But this one isn’t clicking yet. I’m hoping hearing how others think about it will help me sort it out, because right now it’s just… heavy.
What do you think? Is predestination really a thing in the Bible?
14 Likes
Yes, it’s a thing. Paul uses the word in Romans 8:29-30 and Ephesians 1:5, talking about how God predestined believers to be conformed to the image of his Son.
The debate has always been about what it means. Noticing Paul’s tone whenever he brings it up helped. He writes about it with comfort, almost worship. His point is that your salvation rests on God’s faithfulness. The same Bible also says God desires all people to be saved, and it invites whoever is thirsty to come. I try to hold them together and let the tension sit where Scripture leaves it.
1 Like
Yes, predestination is biblical. The Bible sets God’s sovereign plan right next to human responsibility without dropping either one.
Acts 2:23 is a clear case. Jesus was handed over according to God’s definite plan and foreknowledge, yet the people who crucified him were still responsible for their choice. Scripture keeps both together even though I can’t explain how they fit, and I’ve learned to live with that.
Yes, predestination is in the Bible.
God decided beforehand to have a people in Christ. You can hear it when Jesus tells the disciples they didn’t choose him, he chose them and appointed them to bear fruit that would last. What made it heavy for me was reading those lines as a hidden list of names. But they’re written to people already in the faith, looking back on how they came to belong, and they tie the choosing to a life of obedience and mercy received. So they’re a bad tool for guessing who’s on the outside and no reason to sit around waiting for proof you were included. The same Scriptures that talk about God’s prior choosing also keep addressing people as hearers who can respond. So the seeking you’re already doing counts for something. I stopped demanding the question resolve before I kept going, and the weight of it changed.
1 Like
I used to think predestination was a cosmic lottery rigged against me, but reading Romans 8 as Paul’s worship song calmed me down.
I wonder if Acts 2:23 says less about predestination in general and more about God working through that one moment of human choice.
It felt like swimming upstream when this doctrine got heavy. If you feel it too, there’s a reason.
Most believers through history never held strong predestination views.
Something that helped me when this felt heavy is John 6:37. Jesus promises he won’t cast out anyone who comes to him.
God knows the end from the beginning, and he knows who will be in his kingdom. But he’s not forcing anyone’s hand. He wants you to repent and trust his Son.
So maybe the small step is this: cling to Jesus like your eternal life depends on it, because it does. And when you do, he’s promised to hold on to you.
Yes. God predestined that everyone who desires him gets saved. That’s the part.
I was wrestling with this same question. It’s more like a promise. If you want him, you’re in. The desire itself is part of the design.