Hi everyone. I recently picked up a New King James Version Bible, and I have some questions I am hoping you can help with.
Lately I have been wondering whether the original KJV carries something sacred that the NKJV lost when it modernized the language, or if the updated wording just helps us actually understand Scripture better. I am a little worried I picked the wrong one. I have been praying for guidance on which translation will draw me closer to God.
Which is better or easier to learn from? What’s the real difference between the KJV and NKJV Bibles?
7 Likes
The KJV and NKJV are translated from the same underlying manuscripts. The KJV uses early 1600s English, with “thee,” “thou,” and words whose meanings have shifted over four hundred years, while the NKJV updates that into modern English and keeps a lot of the same rhythm.
The sacredness is in God’s Word reaching your heart. The KJV translators said so in their preface, their goal was to make Scripture understood by ordinary people. If the older wording gets in the way of understanding, it’s working against what they wanted.
The KJV is still beautiful, and there’s nothing wrong with keeping one nearby, especially for the Psalms where the poetry shines. Read your NKJV daily and pull out the KJV when you want to read a familiar passage in the older wording (see this).
1 Like
The NKJV footnotes are a real advantage. They show where the traditional KJV text differs from other ancient manuscripts, so they’re useful for actual study, not just simpler wording.
The KJV also has words that mean something different now, like “conversation” meaning conduct or “prevent” meaning precede, and it’s easy to get misled without knowing it.
Try reading the same Gospel chapter in both and see which one keeps your attention on Christ instead of on figuring out the English.
When I got serious about reading every morning, I stuck with the KJV. I’d close the book and couldn’t retell the chapter. Romans was the worst, the sentences ran so long I lost track of who was doing what before I reached the end-.
So I tried the NKJV for a month to see. The same passage had a shape I could follow, and I caught myself praying over one line instead of rereading it to figure out what it meant.
I still open the KJV for verses I memorized years ago. When I’m learning a book I don’t know yet, I use the NKJV. That month I stopped dreading the reading and started looking forward to it.
I could finally stay with the text long enough for it to sink in.