Should You Highlight Your Bible?

I would like to highlight my Bible to help study passages, but I’m worried about whether I should or how I should do it correctly.

Is it wrong to do it? Do you color-code by theme? Underline whatever hits you emotionally? Or just go with whatever stands out that day? Would love to hear how you approach it.

14 Likes

Highlighting your Bible is fine. The words are what’s sacred, not the paper and ink.

I’ve been highlighting mine for years. I tried an elaborate six-color coding system once and gave up after a month because I could never remember what green meant. Now I use two colors, one for God’s promises and one for commands or things I need to act on.

Test your highlighter on a back page first. Bible paper is thin and bleeds easily. Dry highlighters or colored pencils are safer than gel or liquid ones.

2 Likes

Nothing in Scripture forbids writing on the page, and it can help with careful reading. The marks should help you find and understand the text later, so be selective rather than marking everything that feels important in the moment.

I usually wait until I’ve read the whole paragraph or chapter before highlighting, since a line can sound powerful on its own and mean something different in context. I’ll also jot a short note or question in the margin, like ‘who is speaking here?’ Dating your markings can be useful too. Looking back, I sometimes notice I emphasized one verse and skipped right past the ones around it.

If highlighting helps you study a passage later, sure. Writing on the page isn’t wrong, but I wouldn’t treat color-coding by theme or underlining whatever hits you emotionally as a method you have to get right.

After covering too many verses in bright ink, I noticed that a line drawn in a rush of feeling can become the only sentence I ever reread. Now I keep a pencil in the binding and underline sparingly, mostly repeated words or a sentence I don’t understand yet. Pencil erases, which matters because a passage needs time to say more than my first reaction heard. Themes and emotions still matter to me. I write those in a notebook next to the reference instead of on the page.

2 Likes

Your six-color system lasted a whole month longer than mine, since I forgot what green meant before I even finished Genesis.

Pencil, for exactly that reason. Some of my older underlines show how quickly I settled on an interpretation, and being able to erase or change them later helps.

Sometimes I’ll write a small date next to a question in the margin so I can look back and see how my reading changed.

That distinction helped. I used to treat an unmarked page as holier than a well-used one. Now when I flip through and see old notes or highlights, I remember what was going on in my life when I wrote them.

Same here. I flipped through an old Bible and noticed that all my key verses were the comforting ones. The verse right before or after, the one with the hard command or the awkward context, had no marks at all. My highlighter had apparently developed a selective theology.

Waiting until the end of the paragraph helps. Now when I highlight something I try to reread the verses around it and ask why I skipped them. The verse next door is the one doing the heavy lifting anyway.

1 Like

That helps with my biggest worry about marking anything permanent. I hadn’t thought about how my first impression of a verse might not hold up years later.

When you go back and erase an old underline, do you replace it with something new or leave the passage blank until you’re more settled on it?

7 Likes

Most of the time I leave it blank for a while. A bare passage isn’t a failure, it’s a passage I haven’t finished listening to yet.

What I’ve started doing is putting a tiny pencil dot in the margin where the old underline was. When I eventually see what the passage is doing, I’ll mark it again, and often it ends up being a different phrase than the one I grabbed the first time.

Sometimes I don’t erase at all. If my old reading wasn’t wrong, incomplete, I’ll leave the underline and draw a small arrow to the verse it needs to be read with. Seeing my first impression sitting right next to the fuller picture is oddly encouraging.

1 Like

Try a Bible app on your computer or tablet first. You can test out different highlighting methods without any permanent marks you might regret later.

Marking up the page works well. Emphasizing key parts, connecting ideas, jotting down thoughts, it all helps. And if some people would rather keep their pages clean, that’s fine too.