So many conflicting explanations over the years. My head spins. Rather than keep pretending I have it figured out, I’d just rather admit where I actually am.
What is the Gospel of Jesus Christ?
So here’s what I’m asking. Would someone be willing to walk me through the Gospel from the beginning, as plainly as possible?
The Gospel: God made us, and we broke relationship with Him through sin. So God came Himself, in the person of Jesus. Anyone who turns from their sin and trusts in Him is forgiven and given eternal life.
I spent years nodding along in church before I could have explained it that simply.
1 Corinthians 15:3-4 lays it out in about two sentences: Christ died for our sins, was buried, and was raised.
For a long time I treated the Gospel like advice. Behave better and pray harder, hoping God accepts you. What cleared the fog for me was learning that “gospel” means good news. It’s the announcement of what God has already done through Jesus.
Jesus is the promised King. He died for our sins and rose from the dead. He offers forgiveness and new life as a gift. We respond by turning from sin and trusting him as Savior and Lord. Following him does change how you live, but that change grows out of the Gospel.
What helped me most was realizing the good news is a person. The beginning as I understand it. God made a whole world, but we turned from him and everything broke. Then he spent a long stretch of history promising he’d send someone to make it right.
That person is Jesus. ‘Christ’ means the anointed one, the one those old promises pointed toward. The gospel is the news that in him God came all the way down and took what our turning away had cost, then he rose so things could heal. In the end I had to rest my weight on him.
Years of nodding along. I knew all the church words long before it clicked that the Gospel announces what Christ has done.
The resurrection in 1 Corinthians 15 declares that Christ’s sacrifice was accepted and death was defeated. Reading John slowly helped me see that. Every sign points toward believing in Jesus and having life in His name.
I used to want someone to explain the gospel to me in their own words, until I was collecting other people’s summaries instead of reading it myself. Now I sit with the text directly and jot down whatever comes to mind as I go.