In the past six weeks, three different people have brought up the Book of Enoch in totally separate conversations. I’m still pretty new to all of this. I bought my first Bible about two years ago, only recently started going to church. So maybe this is way more common than I realize.
What do Christians believe about the book of Enoch and shouldn’t it be part of the Bible?
Most Christians see the Book of Enoch as an interesting ancient Jewish writing, not inspired Scripture. That’s why it isn’t in Protestant or Catholic Bibles (the Ethiopian Orthodox Church is the main exception).
Jude quotes Enoch. But Paul quotes pagan poets too, and nobody thinks that makes them Scripture. The early church weighed these books over centuries before the canon was settled.
I read parts of Enoch out of curiosity. It’s a strange read. Feels more like speculative writing building on Genesis 6.
Most Christians treat the Book of Enoch as ancient Jewish literature, not Scripture. It’s a collection of apocalyptic writings that came together long after the Enoch in Genesis would have lived.
It does give some background on ideas about angels and judgment that were common in New Testament times, so it’s useful for that. I wouldn’t use it to support beliefs the Bible doesn’t clearly teach.
It comes up more in side conversations than in church. Most Christians believe Enoch walked with God and was taken, that part is in Genesis and Hebrews. KJV vs NKJV Bibles? The Book of Enoch itself came much later and nobody’s required to believe it.
No, it shouldn’t be in the Bible. It’s full of angel names and a long story about the Watchers and giants. It even runs on a 364-day calendar. Churches don’t teach it and it’s not part of what we confess. Respect Enoch the man and leave the book on the shelf.